Saturday, July 7, 2007

A "New" Old Car

J and I spent the day running errands, paying bills. We had really intended on looking for a new car for me - and going to test drive a few, but my good buddy RM (who is an expert on cars) kind of talked some sense into me. He suggested that since I've just sunk thousands of dollars into the vehicle, why wouldn't I consider keeping it? Naturally, I have been worried that more big things were going to keep going - but he felt that most of the major work was done now. Yes a new car would be nice, but did I want to go even further into debt with another $22,000 expense??? It would take a lot of things to go wrong to justify that - especially since I do like driving my car. He also pointed out that I probably wouldn't get much on a trade-in, and that it would be better to sell it privately for more. Anyway, I have spent a lot of money on it this year - clutch, water-pump, timing belt, block heater, new tires, electrical system, steering column signals, etc. etc. So, today I've possibly saved close to $30,000 (factoring in the loss I'd have on all the money I've just sunk into it -- which would never be recovered in a trade)! So in fact, I have practically a "new" car - all I need now is that new hubcap.....

When we returned, J had a call from T who wanted him to come over for a playdate. They have been in the same class for 2 years but, after being on the same soccer team and in the same daycare together (just one day a week), they've actually started playing more together this school year. So they spent a few hours together - which was a fun thing after a day of errands with mom!

No comments: