Sunday, June 10, 2007

Patience is a Virtue (I'm workin on)

I have never been the most patient person in the world. Especially when I perceive that something "should be" going/moving a heck of a lot quicker. But I'm really trying to accept the fact that some things in life will not always be "in my timing". And, I believe this was a weekend designed specifically to test me on this....
  1. When driving to Coquitlam to pick up my sick son I was behind a convoy of several slow moving farm vehicles on the back roads (I prefer not to pass unless they move over - and, in this case I was a dozen or so vehicles behind them anyway). Then I hit a minor bottle-neck at the Pitt River bridge (a very long two-light wait) - and of course almost every red light from thereon in.

  2. I also got a major flat tire (totally my fault). I pulled up just a tad too close to the gas-bar island at the filling station and it turns out that I'd ripped the little nozzle doohicky right off at the base. I was thinking on the bright side that I was less that 30 feet away from the "free air", only to discover after driving that distance on my rim (don't tell my husband), that although I could pump that baby right back up with all that free compressed air, it was just pfffsssssssssssssssssssssssssssttt again and completely flat in just mere seconds!

  3. I registered my son for minor hockey - a nearly 'two hour' process of standing in an extremely long line-up after consuming 3 cups of coffee (and having to pee really badly but holding both it - and my spot - in the ridiculous line-up).

So, lots of little glitches and unexpected waits. But, believe it or not, this time I did not get mad or frustrated at all - I just tried to make the best of each situation and counted my blessings that I was not really going to be horribly late for anything (and that I did not get the flat tire on a road trip out of town)! The farmer did turn off the road and into his driveway fairly quickly anyway (and had I arrived earlier at the pool for my son, he would have still been in the changeroom getting sick all over P), my dad came up and helped me with the flat tire short notice (and Kal-Tire did not charge me a cent to repair it!), and I have the satisfaction knowing that my son is finally registered for the sport he has been dying to play for the past year (and my bladder did not, in fact, actually burst).

Now I am really trying to always look at the positive in each situation. My Uncle C - who was a great motivational speaker who spoke all over North America for A.A. - had told me as a child that we should always look on the bright side of situations and that being angry only hurts ourselves. For some reason, up until just a short while ago, I had chose to ignore his advice for the most part. But today I even offered to trade my spot in the line-up to a woman who was several people behind me who was going to be late for her son's ball hockey game - and I know how much I would have appreciated it if someone did that for me if I was running late! I kept reminding myself, it's all just a matter of perspective and how it could have been a heck of a lot worse. What if I didn't have close family and friends to help me out? My mother was happy to watch J while I registered him for hockey and my dad was available to help me fix the flat tire right away! And our friends B and P - who took such good care of my puking kid for me - who called me to see how he was doing when we got home (and again the next day). I just know I can no longer choose to ignore these very obvious blessings or let myself be horribly angry and frustrated when these everyday obstacles in life continue to crop up!


P.S. Today is the 10 year anniversary of my friend Chariss Acosta's passing. In some ways I cannot believe it has been that long - and I can still hear her voice, her laughter. We miss you Chariss!

No comments: