Friday, May 18, 2007

Flooding Fears


Forms and information packages regarding emergency flood preparations have arrived in our mailbox. Although we are not in the "pink" area previously affected by the great flood of 1948, we are in what is considered the "flood plain" - protected by a diking system. The Ministry of Enviroment, the District, and the RCMP have asked that we develop an Emergency Evacuation Plan in the event that the water levels rise to a dangerous level. Evacuation Orders are issued once the Mission Gauge readings reach approximately 6.8 meters (today they are 3.6). We have lived in this area (between the Pitt and Alouette Rivers) since 1969 and have not yet had a problem with flooding - even though our main access road is often under water during periods of heavy rain. Other low-lying areas in our municipality could be hit hard, even if we aren't.

Apparently the Army has now been brought in to assist with emergency flood relief, if this is the case. Every home will be allotted 30 Sand Bags (don't quote me on this - I overheard it somewhere). We have been asked to stock up on candles, water, and canned goods and make plans for alternative living arrangements. I've booked our cat at one of my friend's homes - she's taken great care of her when we've gone away before. I was liberally telling everyone that we'd probably end up bunking at my sister-in-law's house - then thought I'd better let her in on that tidbit of information too! So, I called her today and she warmly and generously extended her hospitality, if needed. As usual, my sister-in-law B has always been there for us! The challenge, of course, will be in finding a place for our two big dogs.

At any rate, some people are approaching a state of panic, while others (such as myself) are hanging on to the belief that we will be okay. Perhaps I am in a state of denial, but I've learned that fretting and worrying has never really helped me or the situation at hand (I used to be just an incredible "Worry Wart" but I will get into that at another time). Tomorrow I will box up our photos and keepsakes and prepare to move them to Auntie B's. Then I will do a big shopping trip for canned goods and other items on my "check-list". Others who are obviously more organized than myself have already started this - there was no canned dog food left at our grocery store! At any rate, we can pray that the weather takes a dramatic cooling turn for a bit, in order to stop the heavy deposits of mountain snow from melting all at once!