Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Poet

Trees

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

By Joyce Kilmer. [Joyce Kilmer 1886-1918 was killed in action during World War I. Kilmer was both a soldier and a poet, but he is almost always remembered for his poetry about common, yet beautiful, things in nature].

Ever since my son was a baby, My father, "Doc" has recited poety to him. They'd go for long walks and my dad would recite his poetry, while my son absorbed every word. We later realized that J, at a very young age, had actually memorized many of these poems himself! If ever Doc ever 'tripped up', J would quickly correct him. Since Christmas, J has been able to recite most of the entire Robert Service poem "The Cremation of Sam McGee" from memory. It's a very very long poem.... Some of my friends have commented that it's pretty impressive for a seven year old - but I've reminded them that since Doc has been reciting poetry to him almost on a daily basis for 7 + years, it's just kind of etched into him now. Anyway, I think it's just wonderful to see how much my parents are enjoying and spending so much quality time with their two long-awaited grandchildren! We all (including J and M), certainly appreciate it so much!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hey do you think your parents want three more grandchildren? Huh, do they? :-D