Tuesday, May 8, 2007

No "Blades of Glory"


Tonight I really stepped out of my cozy little comfort zone and attempted something I hadn't done in 32 years. I went out to practice with a local Synchronized (precision) skating team. I had never done this type of skating before, but I did figure skate until I was 15. And, from 1979 - 1981 (while attending University), I actually taught a Can-Skate type program through a local municipality. But even that was well over 25 years ago. So, don't ever let anyone tell you that skating's like riding a bicycle - it's not! I could barely stop, let alone do a 3-turn, mohawk (or skate backwards!). Keep in mind, the emphasis here is supposed to be on team work, correct formations, style, and performing very dangerous manoevres (ie: cross-overs) with complete accuracy in unison with a dozen other well-practiced skaters. I don't know if grasping on to another human body on both sides was a good thing or bad thing - maybe they were holding me up, but if I went down, we were all going down! I was very impressed with how encouraging and patient they all were with me though - my son would have thought it was pretty humorous, to say the least (let's just say we won't need to rent the new Will Ferrell comedy flick). Anyway, it was fun, and I can only improve (if I don't break my neck or leg in the process). And, judging by how my legs feel, I may not have to give up much chocolate after all!

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I am extremely impressed. That is very cool and you should be very proud of yourself. Can I come next week to watch? And now I have impressed myself with a blogger account. Who knows? Do you think that a blog could be next? I certainly spend enough time reading them.